Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Veggie and Ricotta Penne Pasta


I love pasta. I don't know anyone who doesn't like pasta. But, I'm trying to be and eat healthier, so I always try to find ways to re-vamp and 'healthify' meals/recipes. A lot of pasta recipes that I find have cheese in it, which is high in calories and high in fat. But, moderation is key to anything! I came up with this pasta dish that does have cheese, but very little of it - so, you get to enjoy a 'cheesy' meal without all the extra added calories. I used light ricotta cheese in this dish, so it really decreased the amount of fats and calories. Also, I used whole wheat pasta in this dish, which is something I usually use anyways when I cook pasta.


INGREDIENTS

1/2 cup of uncooked whole wheat penne
1/2-3/4 cup of frozen vegetables (peas, carrots, corn) 
1/4 cup of light ricotta cheese 
2 tbsp of shredded cheese 
1 tsp of garlic spread* 
1 tsp of olive oil
2 pinches of chili flakes**
Salt, pepper - I added a lot of pepper, few pinches of salt

*you can also use 1/2 tsp of olive oil + garlic: put the olive oil in a skillet and saute the garlic
**instead of chili flakes, you can just sprinkle some cayenne pepper over the pasta

SERVES 1 BIG PORTION, OR 2 

DIRECTIONS

1. Cook your uncooked penne in 1 cup of water, and cook your frozen veggies in another pot until done. Once cooked, set to aside.
2. Take your garlic spread (or SEE NOTE) and let it melt on a skillet. Drizzle 1 tsp of olive oil as well, and add in your chili flakes. Stir for 30 seconds. (medium heat)
3. Add in your drained veggies and fry them for 1-2 minutes.
4. Turn the heat down to a low-medium, add in your ricotta cheese and cooked penne.
5. Add your pepper and salt, and mix together for around 1-2 minutes.
6. Turn the heat off, and add in your shredded cheese. 





0 comments:

Post a Comment