Thursday, June 26, 2014

Graduation Cake Pops

 

Cake balls + sticks = cake pops.

I recently graduated from high school (yesterday) and wanted to make some baked goods for my friends. But not just any baked stuff...I wanted it to be somewhat symbolic of the occasion, so what better way to do so than make cake pops that look like graduation caps?! I followed what blogger Bakerella did in her cake pop grad cap tutorial, and they came out beautiful! Here is my version of it with a step by step picture tutorial. 

INGREDIENTS and MATERIALS

-1 box of cake mix (I used white)
-1/2 tub of icing 
-0.5kg of candy melts (blue)
-Yellow m&ms 
-Peanut butter cup candy molds
-Candy sticks and bags

DIRECTIONS

 Bake your cake according to the directions on the box.
Let your cake completely cool, then what I did was cut off any crust from the cake so it looked like this. This will make your cake pops more smooth. 
Cut the cake into 4 different pieces/squares, and rub them against each other to create a crumble.
...until it looks something like this (shouldn't have any big pieces)
Take 1/2 tub of icing (I used french vanilla)
Mix together (w/ spoon or hands)
Roll it into small balls (I used a little less than 1 tsp spoon as my guide) 
MAKE SURE YOU ROLL IT UNTIL ITS SMOOTH!
Let it chill in the refrigerator (I actually let mine sit in there for 24 hrs) 
 Then melt your blue candy molds and fill the bottom (I suggest the sides too) of the mold with the candy, and then place your balls in it. (lol)

Then fill the rest of the molds with more candy until filled and then stick in a lollipop stick inside the cake (only halfway)
Let it sit in the fridge for 10-15 minutes or until hardened, and pop them out from the back of the mold. DO NOT PULL FROM THE STICK, otherwise it'll fall apart and that'll be a waste :(

For the square part of the hat, I just poured melted candy over wax paper, let it dry a bit, then cut square shapes, put it in the fridge for 5 minutes (or until hardened) and got my shapes!
Glue your m&m atop, using the melted candy molds as an adhesive.
Then glue your cap onto your cake pop.
I actually liked using an egg carton while doing this.

That's it! (not really...it took me quite a while to make these) 

I made 26 cake pops, with A LOT of cake balls left over (I ran out of candy molds, but I didn't wanna make that many anyways) so I wrapped the remaining balls in plastic wrap, then wax paper, and put it in another bag and froze them so I can use them when I make cake pops another time!





0 comments:

Post a Comment